Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Craftacular

It's been a bit of a craft frenzy up in our house since my last post. And I am really excited to say that I have started sewing! Hooray!

I hadn't really sewed much since 7th grade Home Economics class where I made a giant stuffed camel (yes, I picked that pattern out myself) and a pair of boxer shorts. So armed with the comfort of knowing my 7th grade self was a sewing champ and having Matt within shouting distance, I set off to make some handmade gifts for my friend's baby showers coming up.

First, I made this great receiving blanket from this tutorial. A really simple project for newbies like me.


And then I busted out some burp cloths loosely following this easy tutorial. Pardon the threads I haven't snipped off yet.


And then I was so psyched on sewing I decided to sew envelopes for the project I wrote about in my last post. I even sewed buttonholes. That's right, buttonholes. Seriously, a whole world opens up when you can sew a damn button. They may not be the prettiest buttonholes ever made, but I'm okay with that.





And with all this sewing happening, I soon realized I needed a pin cushion. And fast. Those cute plush things actually serve a purpose. Having straight pins lying about willy nilly isn't that cool. And so I made one in a few minutes out of an old can of salsa, some stuffing from a dog toy Lou had ripped up and a scrap piece of fabric I got for free.


And in non-sewing crafty news, I finally tried out freezer paper stenciling, which is a cheap and fun way to do your own screen printing. Run a Google search for it and you will find a boatload of tutorials. I screen printed a dinosaur onto a t-shirt I picked up at Goodwill for a 4-year old's birthday.  I would like to screen print some baby onesies in the future like in this tutorial (so cute!) or maybe this totally amazing Tom Selleck onesie.


See, I wasn't kidding about the level of craftiness around here! And that's not even counting all the new soaps I have been working on in preparation for the Farmer's Market this summer. I'll be sharing those soon.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. You are so creative--Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am really loving sewing. So many possibilities :)

    ReplyDelete