Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Give Your Dog a Bone

This is Lou. He's been the most amazing companion since I picked him up from the pound over 7 years ago.


Admittedly, there were a few rough patches at first. Like the time he jumped out of my car while I was driving at 40 mph (he was fine) or his penchant for taking giant craps in my backseat for the first month I had him. Turns out, he was really afraid to ride in a car.

Well, he got over his fears and he has been pretty much been the best dog a girl could hope for since then.

Recently, he's been a real trooper with our new kitten Stu taking residence here so when we ran out of dog biscuits the other day, I thought I should make him his favorite homemade biscuits. Sure, making your own biscuits is a little more hassle than buying a box of bones at the store, but at this point you probably realize that I enjoy the hassle of making my own stuff.


 And Lou loves these biscuits. And, well, I love him.

Lou's Favorite Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
4c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c-3/4 c. peanut butter (we most always have chunky pb in the house, so that's what I use)
about 2c. warm water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the flour, peanut butter and water in a bowl until it comes together to form a ball. Add  more flour or water if needed.




Flour a flat surface and roll out dough. Keep adding a little more flour if the dough seems sticky. Use cookie cutters to cut out biscuits.


Put them on greased  cookie sheets and bake until biscuits seem crispy. Once they are sufficiently crispy, turn off oven, but leave biscuits inside on cookie sheet until completely cooled (they will turn nice and crunchy this way).


This recipe makes about 100 small to medium size biscuits. Feel free to freeze half of the dough if you don't want to make them all at once.

Okay, now go and give your dog a bone. Or, in this case, a homemade biscuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment