Sunday, August 28, 2011

Our Backyard. It Makes Me Happy.

Garden update! Remember what it looked like back in May? Matt's dad (upon seeing that post) thought we might be trying to grow food on a concrete slab.  Well, it's amazing what a shovel and some compost can do for your soil. Dig deep as they say.

Note: These photos are a few weeks old so some of the plants are a bit farther along and some have well, um, crapped out. Our pattypan squash has succumbed to powdery mildew and looks real sad. But, at least we got one squash from it! If anyone has any advice on that disease, fee free to let me know.

Oh! And if you're a garden/book nerd like me I highly recommend reading this book! I checked it out from the library a while back and loved it. It's part gardening how-to, part spiritual memoir, part poetry. Really great stuff. Yeah, I might have teared up multiple times while reading, but I'm a giant sap. But, regardless, it's a good book to curl up with and daydream about vegetables. Cup of tea optional.

Okay, without further adieu, here's some shots of our humble garden. I'm proud.

scarlet runner beans flowering

sad. the fruits never got bigger than this.
tomato flowers
bright lights chard
basil. how i love thee.
little baby cuke

hoop house transformed!

No comments:

Post a Comment